SEEKINGBand to Join, Vocalist.
MATT ALLEN HAS BEEN SINGING SINCE HE COULD SPEAK. HAVING ALREADY SPENT OVER 15 YEARS ON THE LIVE SCENE, MATT IS ONE OF AUSTRALIA'S MOST SOUGHT AFTER MALE VOCALISTS. MATT IS COMPLETELY DIVERSE AND VERSATILE WITH A LARGE VOCAL RANGE AND HAS A WORK ETHIC SECOND TO NONE. ASIDE FROM HIS WORK AS A LEAD VOCALIST, HE SPECIALISES IN VOCAL ARRANGING AND HAS A PRECISE EAR FOR BACKGROUND VOCAL HARMONIES. MATT'S SOUND IS LIKE A BLEND BETWEEN OLD AND NEW, DRAWING ON INFLUENCES FROM THE LEGENDARY VOCALS OF DONNY HATHAWAY TO THE SMOOTH TONES OF JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE. AS WELL AS HIS INTENSE PERFORMANCE CAREER, HE IS CURRENTLY THE HEAD LECTURER OF CONTEMPORARY VOICE AT THE WESTERN AUSTRALIAN ACADEMY OF PERFORMING ARTS (WAAPA) AT EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY (ECU) AND IN THE FINAL STAGES OF COMPLETING HIS PHD
• Professional singer gigging regularly on the Australian music scene having worked with Melonie Daniels-Walker (Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson and Aretha Franklin), Melissa Erpen (Ellie Goulding, Royal Blood), Christine Anu, Guy Sebastian, Tina Arena, Damien Leith, Helen Shanahan, Rachel Claudio, MEG MAC, Drapht, Coin Banks, Mama Kin Spender among many more.
• Awarded the Hawaiian Award “Most Outstanding Contemporary Music Student” at WAAPA for 2010.
• Wrote, recorded, produced and mixed entire album of original material entitled “Over” in 2010.
• 8th Place in the Open Section of the Australian Songwriting Awards for “Over” in 2012.
• 3 semi-final positions in the UK Songwriting Awards 2013.
• Runner Up in the International Song Contest for “Stay The Night”.
• National tour in 2013
• International Tour to Canadian Music Week & New York 2014
• Americana Festival, Nashville with Helen Shanahan (Mushroom Music Publishing) in 2015
• Recording in Nashville with Helen Shanahan in 2016
• Recording and release of new original EP ‘Last Time’ in June 2017
• Awarded 2nd Place in the Open Section for ‘Last Time’ in 2017 in the Australian Songwriting Awards
• 2 Finalist Positions in the UK Songwriting Awards for ‘Last Time’ and ‘Ride The Moment’ in 2017.
• Many engagements as a soloist with the Perth Symphony Orchestra
• Lead soloist at the Marina Bay Sands, Singapore for the show ‘Faith & Freedom: The Music of George Michael’
• Forming and Directorship of the WAAPA Gospel Choir and engaging as a professional working and touring group in 2015. Performances include: Disconnect Festival, Perth’s Longest Lunch, The AOG Conference, Beaufort St Festival, The AICD Annual Dinner, RTR Heavenly Bodies, WAMFest 2017, Tour of the South West to Bunbury, Margaret River and Albany 2017, ‘Faith & Freedom: The Music Of George Michael’ with the Perth Symphony Orchestra, 2017, ‘Signed Sealed Delivered: The Music of Stevie Wonder & Aretha Franklin’ with the Perth Symphony Orchestra, 2018. The choir has also engaged with original Australian artists including the Aria awarding winning Drapht, Coin Banks and Mama Kin Spender.
I am currently the Head of Contemporary Voice at the WA Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA). My job includes; the development and every day running of the entire vocal program (we currently have over 90 vocalists in Contemporary Music), the development and education of the contemporary vocal staff, weekly lectures in; vocal workshops/masterclasses across all year groups, ensemble sessions with bands and singers throughout all year groups, Principal Study one on one vocal lessons with the final year and honours students and supervision of all honours vocalists for the research component of their post graduate studies. I am the founder/director and arranger of the WAAPA Gospel Choir and I am also the musical director for multiple shows the Contemporary Music department showcases throughout the year including Radioactive Perth, WAAPA in the Park, Brookfield Place, Leeuwin Estate, All Saints Radioactive, Albany Radioactive. The WAAPA Gospel Choir has performed consistently throughout Western Australia since its inception in 2015 and with some highly successful Australian artists including; Drapht, Coin Banks and Mama Kin Spender. I also wrote and released a song for the choir entitled ‘Lead Me Home’ at the end of 2017.
Press Kit: www.mattallenmusic.au/press-kit
WAAPA Gospel Choir:
- Screen name:
- Member since:
- Jun 05 2019
- Active within 2 weeks
- Level of commitment:
- Very Committed
- Years playing music:
- Gigs played:
- Over 100
- Tend to practice:
- More than 3 times per week
- Available to gig:
- 6-7 nights a week
Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Justin Timberlake, Allen Stone
- Background Singer:
- Acoustic Guitar:
From The Fire
From The Fire
Get To Know Me
Get To Know MeTaken from the 2017 EP Release 'Last Time'.
Ride The Moment
Ride The MomentTaken from the 2017 EP Release 'Last Time'.
You Fill Me Up With Love
You Fill Me Up With LoveTaken from the 2017 EP Release 'Last Time'.
Last TimeThis slow R&B jam is the lead off single from the EP of the same name.